This local food tip is one in a series from our friends and partners at Savour Ottawa.
Don’t forget the best part of Harvest Noir – dessert! Test our your baking skills with a Berry Crisp with produce from the Ottawa Farmers’ Market! Head out to Brewer Park Sunday’s 8am to 3pm to find all local ingredients for this delicious treat. Enjoy the last of the season’s berries from Avonmore Berry Farm and experience the quality of Castor River Farms locally grown rolled oats. This recipe also includes a delicious twist- fresh basil from Roots Down Organic Farm!
Berry-Basil Crisp – Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1 cup Castor River Farms rolled Oats
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sliced Avonmore Berry Farm fresh berries
- 3 cups diced rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sliced Roots Down Organic Farm fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix white sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, strawberries, basil and rhubarb. Place the mixture in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar, butter, and oats until crumbly. You may want to use a pastry blender for this. Crumble on top of the rhubarb and strawberry mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until crisp and lightly browned.