This local food tip is one in a series from our friends and partners at Savour Ottawa.
Pack your picnic full of fall greens with a fall salad with cranberry vinaigrette! Stop by the Ottawa Organic Market Saturdays 10am- 2 pm and taste the certified organic lettuces from Terre à Terre Farm. Hint: Vinaigrette made from Upper Canada Cranberries will add incredible, fresh flavor to your salad.
Fall Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette – Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Upper Canada Cranberries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 heads Terre à Terre Farm lettuce – rinsed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium heads Belgian endive – washed, dried and chopped
- 2 red Anjou pears
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- In a saucepan, combine vinegar and cranberries. Cook over medium heat until cranberries soften. Remove from heat; add olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Place in blender and mix until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Core and julienne one pear, core and dice the other.
- In a large bowl, combine the Romaine lettuce, endive, diced pears, walnuts and Gorgonzola. Toss and drizzle with enough dressing to coat.
- Divide among salad plates and garnish with julienned pear. Top with any additional walnuts as well.